If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (314) 863-4555

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

The Do’s and Don’ts of Grease Fires

12/30/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage The Do’s and Don’ts of Grease Fires Grease fire can flare up and spread fast in your Ladue, MO home

The Do’s and Don’ts of Grease Fires

A grease fire is one of the worst kinds of fires you can experience in your home in Ladue, MO. They can flare up and spread fast. It’s really important to be mindful of your actions and how they may affect the fire, so take some time to learn more now so you can act quickly and logically if you ever encounter such a fire. Here are the do’s and don’ts for grease fires:

Do

  • Do stay in the kitchen while cooking to prevent fires.
  • Do use a lid to smother the flames.
  • Do protect yourself from burns by avoiding anything that would splash or spill the fire.
  • Do use a dry chemical fire extinguisher.
  • Do use baking soda for small areas.
  • Do get everyone out of the house.

Don’t

  • Don't walk away from food that is cooking on the stove.
  • Don’t cook while sleepy.
  • Don't use water or any liquid to put out a grease fire.
  • Don’t use a liquid fire extinguisher.
  • Don’t use wet or dry fabric to smother the fire.
  • Don’t carry the fire out of the house.

It’s so natural for people to want to use water, but remember that is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Water just splashes the hot oil, causing it to jump to other areas like the wall, floor or ceiling. A grease fire can get out of control in a matter of minutes. If you aren’t there at the beginning when it is smallest, just get out and call 911.

Cleanup

Fire cleanup is overwhelming because so much is involved in discerning what can be cleaned and what must be replaced, but a fire damage expert can help with the assessment and the cleanup. When their experience and knowledge is specific to fire recovery, you will get the best care to resolve your problems as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Other News

View Recent Posts